Swissair111.org    forums.swissair111.org    Discussion  Hop To Forum Categories  SR111 Messages    The Final Report

Moderators: BF, Mark Fetherolf
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Final Report
 Login/Join

posted
February 27, 2003
Investigation report on 1998 Swissair crash to be released next month
HALIFAX (CP) -- The final report on the investigation into the crash of Swissair Flight 111 is to be released next month, more than four years after the disaster that left all 229 dead.
The Transportation Safety Board of Canada, which conducted the massive inquiry, informed relatives of the victims this week that the report is being released March 27.

"I know this is not going to be a pleasant thing for most people," Myles Gerety, head of a families group, said in an interview Thursday.
Gerety, whose brother Pierce died in the crash, said many families members are expecting to hear that the aircraft's onboard entertainment system was the likely cause of the disaster.
The system was identified early in the investigation as a possible cause of the electrical failure that led to a loss of control of the MD-11 jet.
"The betting is that that's probably a cause, which is completely ironic and horrible," Gerety said from Bridgeport, Conn.
"It just seems like a total, stupid waste. If it is the entertainment system, I'm going to be really upset."
Gerety said family members will not be given advance copies of the report, but will be offered private briefings at the time of the release.
Briefings will be held in Halifax, Geneva and Los Angeles, he said.
Gerety added that the safety board could have provided more notice to families to allow them to make travel plans.

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I completely agree with Mr. Gerety on his remarks, especially this:

"The betting is that that's probably a cause, which is completely ironic and horrible," Gerety said from Bridgeport, Conn.
"It just seems like a total, stupid waste. If it is the entertainment system, I'm going to be really upset."

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post