Swissair111.org    forums.swissair111.org    Discussion  Hop To Forum Categories  SR111 Messages    Airbus 340-600, recirculation fan problem

Moderators: BF, Mark Fetherolf
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airbus 340-600, recirculation fan problem
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and I wanna know anyone have heard of this problem coz I am working on a mini project on this topic. Pls kindly advise.

Many thx

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sat March 20 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the site Edison. I can't find anything on this. I just checked Air Safety Week's search engine and still nothing. Sorry I can't seem to help you on this one. Anyone else know about this Airbus problem?

Barbara

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You will probably be able to find out a lot more on the A340 web-site at www.a340.net

This first extract below addresses some of the attempts to replace recirculation fans with zonal drying systems in order to improve the health of passengers (after the SARS experience) - and also to control the build-up of humidity in the aircraft (corrosion and electrical wiring considerations). This is a real problem in equatorial regions. The A380 initiative at the bottom is typical of the philosophy of utilizing less services direct from the engine (hydraulics, pneumatics), and more electrically powered systems. That theoretically means less chance of oil-contaminated air being breathed and reduces the heavy plumbing associated with hydraulics and bleed-air fed pneumatic systems.

129 Zonal Drying System CTT Systems Any 21-70 FDX

Operator comments are requested regarding their experience with the subject zonal drying system. Such items as reliability, performance, degree of installation difficulty (particularly on the MD11), and any other issue of interest to a potential user would be appreciated.

AL SHARHAN/KUWAIT AIRWAYS � We�re also interested in knowing if there is an A340 operator that has
done this.
NESSEL/LUFTHANSA � DLH has not yet installed a system for the A340. We looked into and found it not cost efficient. We are looking into it for the B747 because we have some rain problems. DLH City Line is seriously considering installing it into the Canadair, but have not yet any experience.

MODERATOR � Are there any operators who have some experience already?

NESSEL/LUFTHANSA � LTU has installed in on the A330. But they are not here.

ILLES/AIRBUS � The zonal drying system developed by CTT Systems is not installed on Airbus aircraft, and no comment can be provided concerning the system efficiency. However, the system is of some interest practically, if an air humidity controlled system is installed on aircraft. Airbus has received some requests from
some A340-500 and -600 operators for the installation of an air humidity control system. A feasibility study has been launched with CTT Systems for the installation of zonal dryers that could fulfill this new Airbus requirement. This will require the development of a new zonal dryer that is currently being investigated by CTT
Systems. Note that to date, their Humidity Control System is also under development. The CTT zonal dryer will then be proposed if a suitable Air Humidity Control System is defined. This modification is expected for Mid-2002.
NESSEL/LUFTHANSA � LTU has installed it as far as we know because Lufthansa Technik did the certification on this for them. They should have some experience and you could ask them.

http://www.arinc.com/amc/reports/2001/air_cond.pdf

A380 cabin air (extract)

Cabin air for passengers will be the best so far for a commercial airliner. The goal is to tap less compressed air from the engines to pump up the cabin, which in turn means hydrocarbon filter and catalytic ozone converter (called CHOC) being developed by Honeywell Aerospace to clean, sterilize and remove ozone and odors and preserve a healthy cabin environment. "This was a significant technological risk, but we are getting good results," says Gretchen McLain, Honeywell�s VP of advanced technology.
"When we first looked at this a few years ago we thought it wasn't affordable technology."
http://www.businessweek.com/adsections/2003/pdf/0350flight.pdf

Posts: 13 | Registered: Sun May 12 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post