forums.swissair111.org
Need support on Air Disaster in Turkey

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.swissair111.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/322103945/m/285104945

Mon September 22 2003, 09:45 PM
ehan
Need support on Air Disaster in Turkey
The families and friends of the 75 victims on Turkish airlines TC-THG airplane formed �THY-634 Victims families support group� in Istanbul, Turkey.
The cause of the accident happened on January 8, 2003, was " Human Factor " as they called in civil aviation. The pilot, who was unaware of the planes position on landing, hadnt his license proper medical checkup and was using anti depressive drugs. So far, the CEO of the Turkish airlines or any other authorities refused to apologize from the victims families or meet our support group.
We are looking for your support to overcome this uncivilized approach. How we can initiate an international support campaign?
Also any legal help on JAA's and ECAC's legal resolutions will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Be the change you would like to see in the world
Mon September 22 2003, 11:44 PM
BF
Ehan, I just wanted to express my sincere sympathy to you and other family members of THY-634. I feel really terrible for all of you as I know this is a very hard thing to go through. I have no idea how to start an international support campaign but would certainly like to hear any suggestions you or others may have. The only advice I can even think to give you is to stick together as a group as much as you can and make sure your concerns are heard. That never happened in the post horror of swissair 111 and the lack of outcry made the situation even worse. I am still stunned that following the release of the TSB's final report almost 5 years after the tragedy, I haven't heard much (almost none) response to the fact that they believe the poorly installed entertainment system was probably the ignition source for the tragic loss of their loved ones.

Speak up loud and clear and make sure news of your distress and concerns gets out into the public. Remember that airlines are NEVER your friend despite the fact that they will pretend that they are on your side. A few families from swissair 111 fell for that and it was very disturbing for the rest of us who knew otherwise and VERY counterproductive.

Sorry for the ramble. Please let us know what we can do to help. We will keep you in our prayers. My deepest sympathy to the families of this tragedy.

Barbara
Tue September 23 2003, 12:45 AM
BF
quote:
So far, the CEO of the Turkish airlines or any other authorities refused to apologize from the victims families or meet our support group.

Ehan, I don't think it is unusual for airlines to not apologize for air crashes they cause. Certainly swissair never did. Some family members were able to meet with swissair because they were trying to get equitable payment for certain family members following the crash. Beyond that I don't know what they did. It may be due to lawsuits filed by victims' families that normally follow these crashes, that they are told not to apologize or they don't want to go on record for accepting the blame. Airlines are a business and look after their reputation and bottom line first. They will point fingers towards everyone and everything but themselves.

I think the entire history of what happened after the swissair tragedy amongst family members and the airline is pretty well documented if you want to check our old site on Yahoo from the very beginning. Also I would suggest you look at the Valujet site. I don't believe anyone ever apologized or took responsibility for that crash either. Again if you have any ideas by which we can help you, please let us know.

Barbara
Tue September 23 2003, 11:12 PM
ehan
Dear Barbara,
Thank you very much for your support. We are trying to prevent such accidents in future in addition to helping the victims families. I agree that this is not easy, but I am also sure that every attempt will make a small change.
On Airlines accepting the blame; I know at least one case written below. I hope all airline managers will be this much responsible and intelligent one day.
"Singapore Airlines said Friday that pilot error led the Boeing 747-400 down the wrong runway.
� They are our pilots. That was our aircraft. The aircraft should not be on that runway. We accept full responsibility � said Singapore Airlines chief executive and deputy chairman Cheong Choong Kong at a news conference .
Friday�s announcement came after Yong Kay, Taiwan�s Aviation Safety Council managing director, said the airplane�s black box showed the jumbo jet�s pilot knew that he was on the wrong runway after he started to take off. Yong said when the pilot realized � at the last moment � that he was on a strip closed for repairs, he tried to lift off, but instead plowed into construction equipment.
After colliding with objects on the airstrip, the Boeing 747-400 burst into flames and split into three pieces, killing 81 of the 179 people on board during bad weather caused by an approaching typhoon. Dozens of Americans were among the passengers."

Be the change you would like to see in the world
Wed September 24 2003, 01:25 AM
BF
Ehan well that's (Singapore's apology) certainly a start. Thanks for posting that. I think the airlines might be surprised that it may make family members feel a little better if they acknowledged their part in causing a crash instead of hiding behind their ridiculous PR. I hope you and other family members are able to make Turkish Airlines understand that it is very important for you to hear those words. They should also meet with you and listen to your concerns. I hope you have some success with that.

Most importantly as you have so wisely stated, we must try to prevent future crashes in anyway that we are able. Ehan please post when you can and keep us up-to-date on how things are going with your efforts. My deepest sympathy to all the families affected by this terrible tragedy. Again let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Barbara
Thu November 20 2003, 11:04 AM
BF
Ehan, I haven't seen you around in a while but I just wanted to express my deepest sorrow over this recent devastating attack on your country. I hope you are okay.

Barbara