Swissair111.org    forums.swissair111.org    Discussion  Hop To Forum Categories  SR111 Messages    'Conquerors of the Skies' don't fly economy

Moderators: BF, Mark Fetherolf
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'Conquerors of the Skies' don't fly economy
 Login/Join

posted
'Conquerors of the Skies' don't fly economy
Top male airline executives party in lap of luxury
By Susan Pigg
Business Reporter

Some of the most beleaguered chief executives in the world start converging on an exclusive Pennsylvania resort today - many by private jet - to play golf, ride horses and raise countless glasses of single-malt Scotch to brighter skies ahead.
The opulent annual gathering of this old boys club, composed of more than 125 top aviation and aerospace executives from around the world, may appear unseemly given that battered airlines lost a combined $12 billion (U.S.) globally last year - more than they've made in profits in their entire history.

But old habits die hard. And the Conquistadores del Cielo - Conquerors of the Skies - has too rich a history to let little details like appearances ground a good time.

"It's a chance to exchange ideas, but it's very social," said one U.S. airline industry executive lucky enough to have made the guest list for the gathering, which was held last year on the Hawaiian island of Lanai. "The toughest decision you have each day is: Am I going to go sail fishing or scuba diving, am I going to play golf or am I going to go shoot trap or go horse-back riding or jeep riding?

"You're talking aviation all the time. And it's with some of the legends, the kingpins, of the industry. I've told friends of mine, `If you get invited, do not miss it.'"

Few Canadians make the cut. It seems that no Canadian Airlines chief executive was ever invited before the carrier was taken over by Air Canada. Even Max Ward didn't make the list.

More at:

http://www.torontostar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1021543299213&call_page=TS_Business&call_pageid=968350072197&call_pagepath=Bu siness/News&col=969048863851

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post