Swissair111.org    forums.swissair111.org    Discussion  Hop To Forum Categories  SR111 Messages    Vandals Knock Down Fountain Honouring sr111 Volunteers

Moderators: BF, Mark Fetherolf
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vandals Knock Down Fountain Honouring sr111 Volunteers
 Login/Join

posted
Vandals hit fountain
BLANDFORD - Someone has knocked down a water fountain erected to honour hundreds of Nova Scotia volunteers who responded to the Sept. 2, 1998, Swissair Flight 111 crash.

The fountain, separate from two memorials to the 229 victims of the St. Margarets Bay crash, lies in five pieces in a park beside the firehall in this Lunenburg County community, about 15 kilometres from the Swissair burial site and memorial in Bayswater.

http://www.herald.ns.ca/stories/2004/03/30/fNovaScotia.html

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a little more information from the Halifax Daily News:

N.S. RCMP say Swissair crash fountain has been vandalized

Canadian Press

Monday, March 29, 2004
BAYSWATER, N.S. (CP) - The Nova Scotia RCMP say a fountain that was gift to the community of Bayswater following the Swissair crash has been vandalized.

It was knocked over sometime on the weekend. The fountain, which is separate from the two memorials to the 229 victims, sits beside the Bayswater fire hall. Many in the fire department, along the province's south shore, took part in the search for those who died in the September 1998 crash.

The RCMP have not put a pricetag on the damage.

Police are asking the public's help in tracking down the culprits.

http://www.canada.com/maritimes/specials/atlantic/story.html?id=0AB8DFCB-7A34-4C99-B2CC-94802AD5B441

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That fountain was apparently donated by swissair:

Mar. 29, 2004. 12:48 PM

Vandals topple monument to Swissair crash

BAYSWATER, N.S. (CP) "” Vandals toppled a fountain that was a gift to the community of Bayswater following the Swissair plane crash.

RCMP said the fountain, which was donated by the Swiss airline, was knocked over sometime on the weekend.

The fountain, which is separate from the two memorials to the 229 victims of the 1998 crash, sits beside the Bayswater fire hall.

Many in the fire department took part in the search for victims of the crash off Nova Scotia's south shore.

The Mounties, who didn't place an estimate on the value of the damage, asked for the public's help in tracking down the culprits.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1080559103830&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968705899037

posted Hide Post
I truly cannot understand the mentality of anyone who thinks it is appropriate to desecrate monuments of any variety. In this case in particular, I know the role played by the volunteers, and the services they provided are well worth the respect the a monument signifies. It angers me to think that some vandal has decided that this recognition is not worthy.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Wed April 07 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the site Kingston. I would think this was probably an act of random vandalism as opposed to anyone specifically targeting the fountain due to it's meaning. It kind of reminds me of the early days following the tragedy when someone broke into (I think it was the swissair office)in Halifax and stole computers that had accident information on it regarding sr111. I believe that turned out to be just random and not directed at anyone in particular. Either way, it's a shame.
Barbara

posted Hide Post
I did want to add that I think it would have been far more appropriate for swissair to pay the recovery tab than donate a statue, as they should have been responsible for what they did. I have a funny feeling that would further deter airlines from carelessly buying entertainment systems from unknown, inexperienced and sleezy little companies out in Arizona to help increase their profits with no regard for passengers' safety.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BF,