Swissair111.org    forums.swissair111.org    Discussion  Hop To Forum Categories  SR111 Messages    Swiss News Reports IFEN Substantially Contributed to Crash

Moderators: BF, Mark Fetherolf
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swiss News Reports IFEN Substantially Contributed to Crash
 Login/Join

posted
In an article that appears in the Swiss paper SonntagsZeitung Von Andrea Bleicher and Adrian Schulthess report (excerpts translated from German, emphasis added):

"An energy consuming monster," says Barbara Fetherolf - revealing the anger of the American who lost her 16 year old daughter Tara in the crash. Her anger is justified!

The investigation authority has concluded that the onboard TV (entertainment system) is responsible, at least in part, for the catastrophe near Halifax.

This information is from the official draft accident report, which devotes several dozen pages to the IFEN.

Sonntagzeitung has learned from Several independent sources that the IFEN is substantially involved in the actual crash.

The manufacturer of the supposed high tech miracle was Interactive Flight Technologies, of Phoenix, Arizona. The fact that the firm had no experience in the manufacture of on-board aircraft support systems - Swissair was its first and only large customer - didn't bother the Swissair management. Weaknesses in the IFEN appeared almost immediately after the installation; it drew too much current, the cabin heated up and it was not immune to total blackouts. Moreover, the IFEN was connected to the aircraft's main power supply - a fact that played an important role in the crash.

The report also suggests that the pilots waited too long to land, but how heavily this weighs is not determined.

An anonymous informant who directed an email to survivors last week and who is close to the investigation reported that the origin of the accident was traced to the cables of the IFEN. For people (loved ones) of the victims, this communication, the contents of which they believe is correct, has let loose a new wave of anger at the time of the anniversary of the crash.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Fri March 29 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spoke with my European friend. I asked this person about the reputation of this Swiss paper as being from here in the States I don't know much about them. The person said that it was a very reputable paper in Switzerland. Also verified that with Mark's cousin George who did the rough translation of the article. It's not like it would really be a surprise that the IFEN played a large role in the crash. In fact I would have been shocked if it didn't. My God just look at the information on the sr111 board about the 'entertainment' system that mostly comes from the work and reporting of Air Safety Week and van Beveren who conducted interviews with employees of srtechnics. Check out the pictures of the actual wiring of this system. I have no doubt that the IFEN played some role in the crash of sr111.

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post