Swissair111.org    forums.swissair111.org    Discussion  Hop To Forum Categories  SR111 Messages    Peggy's Cove attracts more tourists due to sr111 tragedy

Moderators: BF, Mark Fetherolf
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Peggy's Cove attracts more tourists due to sr111 tragedy
 Login/Join

posted
Nova Scotia's picturesque South Shore
Lighthouse Route meanders through Peggy's Cove, Mahone Bay, LunenburgMonday, June 20, 2005 Page T6

As befits the capital of a province, Halifax has enough activities to keep vacationers happy for days on end, but the maritime city, with its attractive waterfront and imposing 1856 Citadel, is also the jumping off point for the Lighthouse Route. This popular tourist drive follows Nova's Scotia's South Shore along the Atlantic Ocean, winding in and out of picturesque coves and bays, dotted with historic communities and fishing villages.

The most famous village along the Lighthouse Route is Peggy's Cove. One of the most photographed sites in Canada, it made the headlines in 1998, when Swissair Flight 111 crashed into the sea en route from New York to Geneva, killing 229 passengers and crew. Rather than keeping tourists away, the accident has made the pretty village more popular than ever, with a large, oval chunk of granite overlooking the spot where the plane went down, commemorating those who perished. You'll want to get there early before the bus tours arrive.

the rest of the article is at:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPSt...20/TPNational/Canada

This is exactly the reason I didn't want any monuments and why my daughter's name is not on the memorial. I didn't want her tragic death to become a tourist attraction.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BF,

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many people in the area didn't want the monument placed, at the time I was one of them. But now I find that it gives me peace, when ever I visit the community. For many years after that night, out in the bay looking for passengers, I couldn't go to the area. For many years later that night still stays with me and gives me great stress. When I visit Indian Harbour and the memorial site I feel at peace with that night.

I do find that people(tourist) that visit the monument do it with respect and class.

Posts: 2 | Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia | Registered: Wed November 02 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well unfortunately I saw a photo a few years back of a man and his kids posing with big smiles around the monument. You could very well be right that most people are respectful, but that picture will always bother me.

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Firsly, let me say how very sorry I am to those families who lost loved ones in the Swiss Air Disaster. While I now live near Peggy's Cove, I did not reside there at the time. Still, the memorial for me is a most poignant and moving reminder of the tragedy. I am always respectful and have never seen anyone who is not. I feel that area is a place where people died - even though it may not be as close to the site of the crash - and we must honour them with as much compassion and understanding as we possibly can.

I did not realize that some names were not listed - even though I have read Stephen Kimber's book (through which I often sobbed, having lived through 9/11 in Halifax while trying to find out if my sister survived in one of the Trade Center towers. I have also lost a daughter who was 16 to a serious illness and while it was difficult to watch your child suffer, at least I know I had that extra time with her and it was not a searing shock!!

I once learned that the most stressful event that could happen to one was the death of a spouse and while yes, I am sure that is horrible - as it was for the families who lost spouses on that fateful day in 1998, losing a child is its own special kind of pain.

My heart goes out to you and I will pray for Tara and Lyn Romano's husband Richard - even though I was somewhat astounded and a little sad not to see them there.

The people of Nova Scotia have treated this special place with much kindness and caring. It is not merely a monument to us but a testament to all the lives lost on those days and the families they sadly left behind.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Sun May 14 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Janey, Thanks for your kind words. Tara wouldn't have wanted her name there for reasons I'd rather not go into. Fortunately, my wishes were respected, and I'm appreciative of that.

Btw, this is an especially painful Mother's Day, although the one after Tara died was the worst of course. The first Mother's Day after Tara died, Mark had deserted Amy and I, and I found out he was with a 26 year old girl that he worked with. This year he left me at an airport in January, after promising that very morning to pick me up, and again is dating multiple (which I have concrete evidence of) women. I haven't spoken to him since that time. I wish that were all of it but it is way too much to go into on this site. I am now proceeding with a divorce after 30 years of marriage. He has left 4 times and done this stuff throughout the marriage. Like all the other horrible stuff wasn't enough.

I miss Tara so much it's just awful. My heart goes out to other family members, including Lyn Romano and her family, who lost her beloved husband Ray.

posted Hide Post
BF, I am so very sorry to hear of your pending divorce. That kind of trauma is not something anyone needs after everything you have been through!

I do understand a decision by a family not to include their family member's name and when I drive by the site - or visit it - usually very solumnly and often in tears - I think of Tara and Rowena White as well as Mr. Romano.

I know what it is like to mourn a daughter on Mother's Day but am sad to hear of all you have had to cope with.

Please take care!!

posted Hide Post
Janey, Thanks so much. All I ever wanted to do was to keep my family together after Tara was killed. I finally realized that was no longer possible.

Thanks also for understanding about Tara's name being left off that monument. I respect that many people wanted to have that, but I find it just another painful reminder of the loss of a beautiful daughter. Thanks so much for taking the time to post.

posted Hide Post
Janey, I just wanted to tell you again that I'm so sorry that you lost your daughter. Please come back and post again- you are always welcome here.

Barbara

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JaneyC:
Firsly, let me say how very sorry I am to those families who lost loved ones in the Swiss Air Disaster. While I now live near Peggy's Cove, I did not reside there at the time. Still, the memorial for me is a most poignant and moving reminder of the tragedy. I am always respectful and have never seen anyone who is not. I feel that area is a place where people died - even though it may not be as close to the site of the crash - and we must honour them with as much compassion and understanding as we possibly can.

I did not realize that some names were not listed - even though I have read Stephen Kimber's book (through which I often sobbed, having lived through 9/11 in Halifax while trying to find out if my sister survived in one of the Trade Center towers. I have also lost a daughter who was 16 to a serious illness and while it was difficult to watch your child suffer, at least I know I had that extra time with her and it was not a searing shock!!

I once learned that the most stressful event that could happen to one was the death of a spouse and while yes, I am sure that is horrible - as it was for the families who lost spouses on that fateful day in 1998, losing a child is its own special kind of pain.

My heart goes out to you and I will pray for Tara and Lyn Romano's husband Richard - even though I was somewhat astounded and a little sad not to see them there.

The people of Nova Scotia have treated this special place with much kindness and caring. It is not merely a monument to us but a testament to all the lives lost on those days and the families they sadly left behind.

Terri

Posts: 5 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: Wed April 17 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Barbara

I drifted by your site tonight and was shocked to see that again Mark has left. I remember the last time. I am so so sorry that you must again go through this...like you haven't been through ENOUGH. I will keep you in my prayers...you are a very strong woman and a very smart woman and I know you will be fine through this even though right now is a difficult time.

I will be there if you need an ear.... And,when all is said and done...come to visit me and I PROMISE you a GREAT time.Call me when you have time,or catch me online. Love ya,

Terri

Terri

Posts: 5 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: Wed April 17 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Terri, Thanks for your kind thoughts. I have to say that I believe that my life will be happier without someone I have to always worry about- who he is with, or what he is doing and deal with his constant lies. I should have left the marriage long ago, but as I said earlier, my family was very important to me. I don't really understand how he lives with the things he's done both to me and his kids.

posted Hide Post
I was on site that morning. I have something I would like to pass on to one of the families of the flight. I wish to remain very quietly anonymous. The event has played hell with my life. Cyril, Vince, and Al gave me permission to hang onto it, but it's time. A momento for someone that will feel better with it.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Wed June 14 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Capt. Daikens, Are you able to say which family member you want to get in touch with in case they read this site and want to PM you?

Thanks,
Barbara

posted Hide Post
It's a very generic thing to remind me how fragile aircraft are. Someone may want it.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Wed June 14 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Capt. I understand what you're saying. So it's not specific to any individual. Well people seem to read the site, maybe a family member might be interested. They can PM you if they do, but be careful that they really are a family member. Thanks for posting and I'm very sorry you were at the site of the disaster. I would imagine you have some terrible memories to deal with from that tragedy.

Barbara

posted Hide Post
Janey, another difficult Mother's Day this year. Hope you are doing okay. I was thinking the whole day that 'I'll bet I get served with divorce papers tomorrow, because it's Mother's Day, and there is a history there dating back to the first Mother's Day after Tara's death. Sure enough, they appeared in my mail box on Monday.

And btw Janey, I had to file for a divorce (public record- PA), in 1999 due to his cheating.) It's not about Tara's death, but his total lack of character.

posted Hide Post
Oh Gawd, I am so sorry to hear that Barb!! What a day to serve them on - that is so outrageous it makes me ill!!!

I hope you are OK!! (((((((((Barb))))))))))

Mother's Day was hard for me too - and I am divorced as well. As you likely know, the stats for couples staying together after the death of a child are not great but that fact does not give me any comfort whatsoever!

posted Hide Post
I'm sorry you had a rough day Janey. I can assure you that Mark and I breaking up had nothing to do with Tara's horrible death. Thanks for caring. Hope you're doing okay.

Barbara