Swissair111.org    forums.swissair111.org    Discussion  Hop To Forum Categories  SR111 Messages    For the love of Stephanie
Page 1 2 

Moderators: BF, Mark Fetherolf
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For the love of Stephanie
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Janey, From everything I've heard about him, he's a good man. I'm so sorry for them.

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a quick update on Ian Shaw and a happier one at that from Peter Duffy's column:

Time healing father's wounded heart

By PETER DUFFY
Tue. Jun 17 - 5:33 AM

MORE ODDS and sods today. Let's get cracking.

Let's start by playing catch-up with Ian Shaw.

If you recall, Ian lost his daughter Stephanie on Swissair Flight 111 and moved from his home in Switzerland to Nova Scotia to be near the place she died.

He lived alone in West Dover for eight years, operating his highly-regarded restaurant, Shaw's Landing.

Slowly but surely, the rent in Ian's soul began to heal until, last June, he was ready to return to Europe.

Several of you have asked me how he's doing, so I contacted him by e-mail in the Spanish city of Alicante, where he and his German-born wife Gudula are living now.

Ian replied with an account of a trip they'd made to Mallorca a couple of weeks ago to celebrate his 70th birthday.

You'll be delighted to hear that the sunshine seems to have returned to both their lives.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Opinion/1062433.html

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am so glad to be reading this follow-up the earlier posts regarding Stephanie.

I know that I am not at all in a position to appreciate the emotion and feelings felt by people like Barbara, Mark, Ian or Lynn, but having just celebrated my birthday in the presence of my son (just about to be married), and my daughter, expecting her first child in October, I was suddenly aware of the enormous consequences to families of the actions of aviation industry executives, Federal Regulators and Safety Board official activities.

I wonder if they occasionally identify with individual stories such as this, or manage to divorce themselves from the details as a necessary measure to preserve sanity over time...

Regardless, I think that it's necessary to return to the original emotions to fully appreciate the impact of decisions made in applying risk reduction principles to practical situations.

And that includes thinking of one's pregnant daughter boarding a flight possibly equipped with IFEN systems procured through questionable sources, approved via corrupted processes, and operated by incompetent operators.

Overall, the system is safe, as they point out at every opportunity, but it isn't perfect.

I encourage everyone to require better performance. The price is too high to pay.

Regards

Posts: 14 | Location: Canada | Registered: Mon August 19 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Falkinn, thanks so much for your kind thoughts. I really appreciate your participation throughout these difficult years.

Btw, I'm so happy to hear that Mr. Shaw finally has found some peace and happiness.

Barbara

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BF,