This topic can be found at:
https://forums.swissair111.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/322103945/m/596104945

Fri January 09 2004, 09:17 PM
BarbF
Disturbing Reports About Repair Stations-Air Safety Week
Disturbing Reports

Rep. Oberstar Jan. 7 letter to DOT/IG Kenneth Mead (extracts):

Dear Mr. Mead:

There have been some disturbing reports ... about how some U.S. airlines are relying on aircraft repair stations that have not been "certificated" or licensed by the FAA to maintain their aircraft.

Aircraft repair stations play an important part in maintaining the airworthiness of the U.S. transport fleet, and the use of repair stations is increasing as airlines restructure and reduce costs. The 10 largest U.S. airlines now contract out nearly 50 percent of their maintenance ... It is my understanding that the FAA has certified 4,600 domestic and 650 foreign repair stations and has a process - now undergoing revisions in response to your July 2003 report (see ASW, July 21, 2003) - to provide more stringent oversight of this segment of the industry.

I have long been concerned that FAA processes, and inspector workforce, are not sufficient to adequately oversee certificated repair stations, let alone individually certificated mechanics not affiliated with a certificated repair station that performs maintenance on the U.S. transport fleet.

Accordingly, I ask that your office review this important matter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------