Swissair111.org    forums.swissair111.org    Discussion  Hop To Forum Categories  SR111 Messages    No media interest in 11th anniversary

Moderators: BF, Mark Fetherolf
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No media interest in 11th anniversary
 Login/Join

posted
I don't know why it bothers me, but I can't find a single news item about the anniversary of the crash. It's like 10 years was enough coverage. There are so many of us that are haunted by this tragedy every day it seems like it's worthy of some mention. I suppose the rest of the world just isn't so interested anymore...

Also, it would be nice to think that it is safer to fly now, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Still feels like those 229 people died in vain.

Posts: 10 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: Mon September 02 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the FAA doesn't care about lives, they just care about money. I've been wishing for a long time that the NTSB be put in charge of regulating Aviation safety.

"Those Who Don't Learn From The Past Are Doomed To Repeat It."

Posts: 186 | Registered: Sun July 09 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Murray, you're right about everything you said. I thought it was especially callous, that the U.S. rarely mentions it, and Switzerland. The Canadians have given it the most attention by far.

Barbara

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I realized the same here in europe (Germany). I couldn't find anything with regards to that tragic event, 11 years ago.
However, "no news coverage" does not mean, that individuals do not remember the day, the 229 souls onboard SR 111 lost their lives.

I have (luckily) not lost anybody known to me in that crash - but I feel with those, who have to mourn. SR 111 has moved me from the day of the accident until today - and it certainly will do in future, as well.

The fact, that the ceo of the company that developed and sold the IFEN got away without any punishment is making me even more angry, than the obvious misperformance of the FAA.

Unfortunately, "flying" has indeed not become more safe, than 11 year ago. The last few month have proved that in a grim way. My former boss' son died in june aboard the AF 447 flight from Rio. His body has not been recovered and his parents (aged 80) are broken.

I used to love flying and have been more than a thousand times onboard an aircraft. Due to my age (49) and some humps in my caree, I don't have to fly to often, anymore. My usual routes nowadays are limited to Frankfurt - Hong Kong and Frankfurt - Dubai. I'm much more scared now, than I used to be and I avoid to travel on Airbus equipment.

Joerg

Posts: 1 | Registered: Thu September 03 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JR, thanks so much for caring and remembering the swissair tragedy. I agree with you about those responsible for the IFEN, but I had to accept a long time ago, that nothing was going to be done regarding that. The TSB (Candian investigators) made it clear from the beginning, that they didn't want any criminal prosecutions because they felt people wouldn't openly speak to them. I never understood this line of reasoning because that would be true in any criminal investigation. Why should air crashes be exempt from criminal charges being brought against individuals that may have done something illegal that caused harm?

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Btw Mary, Hope you and your brothers are doing okay. I just realized who you are. Thanks for stopping by.

Barbara

posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been wishing for a long time that the NTSB be put in charge of regulating Aviation safety.

Murray, just want to say that would be a big improvement. Lyn Romano and I visited both agencies about a year after the tragedy, and the NTSB was by far the most knowledgeable group and unafraid to ask for safety regulations. The FAA mainly seemed concerned about the cost to the airlines.

posted Hide Post
I am here in Halifax, Nova Scotia - how can I help?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mon April 26 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post