Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OMG
 Login/Join

posted
Unbelievable, that the tragedy of swissair 111, would be used for an excuse for this behavior. This sickens me.

Kitten mutilator says Swissair traumatized him
Judge reserves decision on sentencing until March 30
By JENNIFER STEWART Court Reporter
ADVERTISEMENT

A Halifax man who used a pair of scissors to snip the genitals off a seven-week-old kitten last April is claiming he suffers from post-traumatic stress syndrome.

Dennis Perrault, 39, who pleaded guilty in the fall to two counts of animal cruelty, was in Halifax provincial court Tuesday to be sentenced for the gruesome act that directly led to the kitten's death. However, Judge Anne Derrick chose to reserve her decision until March 30.

Tigger, a black and white kitten purchased by Mr. Perrault from a Halifax woman on April 22, died May 4 during an emergency operation to reconnect its urethra.

A week earlier, Mr. Perrault, in the presence of his 10-year-old daughter, cut off the kitten's testicles and part of its penis using a pair of scissors and no anesthetic.

During his submissions, defence lawyer Peter Mancini insisted his client wasn't trying to neuter the animal. He said Mr. Perrault told him he doesn't know why he hurt the kitten, except that he is suffering from post-traumatic stress syndrome.

Mr. Mancini said Mr. Perrault has worked since the age of 18, when he joined the Naval Reserves in his native province of Quebec.

For awhile, he said, his client served with HMCS Quebec, one of the first vessels on scene at the 1998 crash of Swissair Flight 111. Mr. Perrault's main role was helping to recover the remains of the 229 victims.

His client is still trying to cope with the stress of that ordeal, Mr. Mancini told the court.

He said Mr. Perrault was also mugged shortly before he hurt the kitten, an incident that left him with a broken jaw. He's had several operations over the past months to repair the damage, Mr. Mancini said, and was taking pain medication at the time of the April incident.

Crown attorney Susan MacKay isn't buying the defence, claiming that if the "tortuous treatment" wasn't an attempt to castrate the kitten, then it was simply "gratuitous cruelty."

She is asking for between three and four months in jail, as well as more than $2,000 in restitution for veterinary bills and other costs. She also wants a lifetime ban to prevent Mr. Perrault from owning animals, a mental health assessment and counselling.

Mr. Mancini asked for 12 months' probation, suggesting a three-month conditional sentence only if the court feels jail time is necessary.

Mr. Perrault had little to say when given a chance to address the court, opting for a simple apology.

"Well, first I'd like to say I'm really sorry for my actions," he said with a hint of a French accent. "And I'm really sorry for what it did to my daughter. I lost a lot of trust from her.

"I don't know what else to say."

Mr. Perrault refused further comment outside the courtroom, pushing through a group of reporters and ducking into the men's washroom.

Minutes later he emerged, a tuque pulled low over his face, and made a beeline out the front door.

( jstewart@herald.ca)

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/563016.html

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah that sicko. I heard about that, people who abuse animals are some of the lowest forms of scum on the Earth and I personally think they should either be thrown in jail for life or executed along with child molesters and all the other sickos out there. It makes me ill when I think of how little we regard animal life on this planet. I mean killing them for food is one thing, I have no problem with that as long as while they're alive we treat them humanely and their method of death is painless. I mean we are omnivores after all.

Granted this issue is somewhat personal to me, the cat I have now was found originally by my sister under her then boyfriend's veranda, someone had beaten it and left it to freeze to death in the Cold Nova Scotia winter and it crawled there and then couldn't go any further. A little KITTEN for God's sake. Thankfully he shows no signs of it now and is now the most kind, gentle, loveable cat I've ever had. I'd love to find out who did this to him I'd beat the Hell out of him and strip him down and leave him to freeze to death.

"Those Who Don't Learn From The Past Are Doomed To Repeat It."

Posts: 186 | Registered: Sun July 09 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Murray, This certainly is sick! So sorry to hear about that kitten, but glad he's okay. For some reason, a lot of people think it's fine to abuse cats. I don't really understand that.

Barbara

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand it perfectly, they're sick in the head. Like the other scums of society like child molestors, and swissair executives.

"Those Who Don't Learn From The Past Are Doomed To Repeat It."

Posts: 186 | Registered: Sun July 09 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Exactly.