Swissair111.org    forums.swissair111.org    Discussion  Hop To Forum Categories  SR111 Messages    9 years later...

Moderators: BF, Mark Fetherolf
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9 years later...
 Login/Join

posted
I wonder where the airlines are with replacing mylar insulation on older aircraft. Anyone know?

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't "know" but if I had to guess I'd guess not very far along, if they even started to begin with. The only way things like that get done is if a governing body with Teeth makes them. I think the TSB is pretty good, but all they can do is recommend. They can't force anything Which makes me wonder why they bother to do investigations. But then I at least get the comfort of knowing that the investigation at least helped you families by giving you as much info as we could.

If you don't mind my asking Barb, what is your impression of the response from Canada/Nova Scotia as far as you're concerned? Not just the organizations like the TSB etc, but also just the regular people.

"Those Who Don't Learn From The Past Are Doomed To Repeat It."

Posts: 186 | Registered: Sun July 09 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure you're probably right about the mylar replacements. No aircraft should be allowed to fly with flammable materials onboard. It's really unbelievable.

I thought the people of N.S. were pretty incredible with their support and willingness to help. As a group, Canadians seemed to care the most about the swissair disaster. There was certainly very little interest in the U.S., despite the fact that so many Americans were lost on that flight. When I tell people that my daughter died on swissair 111, they either confuse it with TWA 800, or don't remember it at all.

Barbara

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, cant believe its been 9 yrs. And that its taken me this long to communicate with someone from this tragedy.
I was a crew member of the Canadian navy ship HMCS Preserver, we were the first ship out there that night after the crash and spent two weeks on site involved with the recovery of debris and human remains. I know the toll this profound experience has taken on me, and can only imagine the grief of the family members.
Even though you are all strangers to me I feel a bond. After years of therapy (i thought I was losing my mind)Ive spent many hours thinking of what I would say if I ever met any of you, and now when I think Im finaly ready ,,I draw a blank. I want to let you all know that your loved ones we brought on board were handled and treated with the utmost of respect and care. And my deepest condolences go out to each and every one of you.
I have since retired from the navy, and if anyone needs to talk to me about anything I would be more than happy to help and I will make my e-mail address available to them.

b

Posts: 1 | Registered: Wed September 26 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome b, I'm not a family member, but Barb here is, and she's my friend. I'm just a regular Nova Scotia citizen effected by this tragedy.

"Those Who Don't Learn From The Past Are Doomed To Repeat It."

Posts: 186 | Registered: Sun July 09 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi B. Thanks so much for posting. Welcome to the site. I hope you will come back and post again sometime. Thanks to you, and all the recovery workers, for all you've done. There are no words to express my gratitude towards you. I hope you are doing a little better these days.

Murray, you have been a true friend. Thank you so much for your support.

Barbara

posted Hide Post
I also can't believe that 9 years have passed.
I was a Care Team member for Delta and spent 9 days in Halifax. I just want to say to all of you, families and first responders(and I am sorry it has taken me so long to say it here) that I am so sorry for all of your losses. I think of you all (even though I don't know most of you) on a regular basis and pray for you. Your losses were tremendous and unimaginable.
The crash of Swiss Air 111 changed my life in many ways. I have followed this site on and off for since the begining. My life sometimes would get too busy to check the site often but my thoughts would always drift back. My family member gave me a small trinket on one of our last days together as a reminder of her, little did she know that I would never forget her, I have worn it around my neck with my cross ever since. I think of my families husband often, even though I never met him, he and his family changed my life. I have yet to go up to Peggy's Cove but I think next year will be the year. So in closing I just want you all to know that my heart goes out to you all and I wish you peace in your hearts.
CW

Posts: 1 | Registered: Fri September 28 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Barbara! I don't know if you remember me or not. It's been a very long time! I'm doing well, and still flying. I'm a Civil Air Patrol member now, and a CAP mission pilot.

In regards to your question, one of the possible "benefits" to higher fuel costs is that a lot of the older airliners are being replaced by the new, more fuel efficient airplanes. At least here in the US, you see a lot of CRJ's, 757's, 767's, and A-320's.

"They shall mount up with wings, as eagles." Isaiah 40:31

Posts: 26 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: Mon April 29 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
David, yes I do remember you! It's great to hear from you again. Glad to hear that you are doing so well. Good point about higher fuel costs, and hopefully that is helping with the replacement of the older, more dangerous aircraft. Hope you'll come back and post some more.

CW, thanks for stopping by. Your thoughts are appreciated. I will never be able to go back to N.S. Just the thought of that fills me with pain.

Barbara

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BF:
David, yes I do remember you! It's great to hear from you again. Glad to hear that you are doing so well. Good point about higher fuel costs, and hopefully that is helping with the replacement of the older, more dangerous aircraft. Hope you'll come back and post some more.

CW, thanks for stopping by. Your thoughts are appreciated. I will never be able to go back to N.S. Just the thought of that fills me with pain.

Barbara

Where are you living now, Barbara?

Posts: 26 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: Mon April 29 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
David, I sent you a PM.

Barbara

posted Hide Post
Got it. Thanks!

posted Hide Post
Hello,

My name is Nelisha Vellani and I am a Researcher with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) in Toronto.

As part of the Investigative Unit, we are currently focusing on Aviation safety and using the 10th anniversary of Swissair 111 as a focal point for our coverage. We are looking to speak with families of victims about their experiences and also about key issues that are still affecting the safety of aviation. I came across this forum while doing some research and thought it would be a great place to start.

My e-mail address is: nelisha.vellani@cbc.ca

Hope to speak with you soon.

Nelisha

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mon June 23 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post