Swissair111.org    forums.swissair111.org    Discussion  Hop To Forum Categories  SR111 Messages    Loss of electrical power

Moderators: BF, Mark Fetherolf
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loss of electrical power
 Login/Join

posted
A 747 enroute to Singapore from the U.S lost all power upon take-off. I don't know the details yet but I don't believe this was reported in the news. The reason I know this is that Mark is meeting someone in Singapore and this is what he reported happened. When I get more details, I'll post them.

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mark sent me the following information about his business associate's recent experience. I still don't know which airline this was but will try to find out.

- Electrical power failed on his 747 in the first few seconds of take-off.
Pilot stopped the take-off without incident and taxied back to the gate.
Maintenance said it would take 10 minutes to fix. After four hours in the
747 with no lights or A/C, they gave up. Passengers were getting sick from
the heat and complaining bitterly. Maintenance was still saying just 10 more
minutes. Captain finally called time-out. Steve talked to first officer
later, who said that cock-pit electrical systems were going crazy.
- They delayed the flight 12 hours, then sat at the gate for an additional
1.5 hours because some of the passengers didn't show and they had to offload
their baggage, causing Steve to miss his connection in Tokyo ... Overall
arrived a day and a half late.

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The airline was NorthWest.

posted Hide Post
Wouldst appreciate an email when you do find out some more details (Flt No, date etc). Always like to keep track of this. JK keeps records and the new SDR Rule will be out in the fullness of time also. That will need policing.

Dagger Dirk

Posts: 13 | Registered: Sun May 12 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dagger, I asked Mark to email his friend to see if he still has that information. I will definitely get it to you as soon possible. Thanks for your interest.
Barbara

posted Hide Post
Dagger here is the information you requested:

23MAY - SUN

Northwest Airlines Inc flight 19 confirmed class: B seat: 27C
depart: Minneapolis, MN (MSP) 305P
arrive: Tokyo Narita, Japan (NRT) 24MAY MON 505P

meal: dinner/breakfast equipment: 744 flight time: 12:00

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BF,

posted Hide Post
Incident makes it into Air Safety Week:

23 May 1505L Minneapolis St Paul 747-400 of NWA Flt: 19 Electrical power failed on take-off. Pilot aborted and returned to the gate. Nil Maint gave up trying to fix it after pax sat 4hrs without power or aircon