Swissair111.org    forums.swissair111.org    Discussion  Hop To Forum Categories  SR111 Messages    Russian crash anger cancels Swiss visit

Moderators: BF, Mark Fetherolf
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Russian crash anger cancels Swiss visit
 Login/Join

posted
So I ask myself, why did the families (led by Miles Gerety)allow Jeffrey Katz (then the CEO of swissair), and Jane Garvey (head regulator for the FAA)to attend and speak at the memorial service of the victims of sr111? Where was/is the outrage? This is a question that will haunt me the rest of my days. Jane Garvey was applauded when she spoke. Sorry, in light of what we already knew about the tragedy, how was that possible? Let me make it clear that I don't in anyway advocate violence towards those responsible for the tragedy as is suggested in this article, but certainly along with abject grief some indignity should have been part of the feelings that terrible day.

Here is the article:

Russian crash anger cancels Swiss visit

By Thomas Abegglen

BERNE (Reuters) - Russia has urged Switzerland's president to stay away from a memorial service for victims of last week's mid-air collision because of local fury over the Swiss role in a crash that killed dozens of Russian children.

The Berne government said in a statement that President Kaspar Villiger had cancelled plans to attend Saturday's ceremony in Ufa, home to most of the 69 Russians who died over the Swiss-German border on July 1. Moscow confirmed on Friday it was concerned high emotions could lead to ugly scenes.

Investigators are probing why Swiss air traffic controllers failed to prevent the Bashkirian Airlines Tupolev taking the children on holiday to Spain colliding at night with a DHL cargo jet. Russians were also outraged by initial Swiss suggestions, later withdrawn, that the Russian pilot failed to react swiftly.

"The Russian Foreign Ministry has informed the Swiss embassy that the emotions in Ufa had risen to such an extent by Thursday evening that the security of the Swiss delegation could have been endangered on the site on Saturday," the Swiss government said.

In Moscow, Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Yakovenko said the issue was not so much threats to Villiger's personal safety but concern his presence could provoke disturbances.

"The point at issue is not guarantees of the Swiss president's safety. Bashkortostan's authorities believe that the funeral ceremony will be undoubtedly very emotionally charged," he said. "It is clear that this can have a negative effect on the atmosphere around the Swiss president's visit."

Ufa is the provincial capital of Bashkortostan, an oil-rich Muslim region in the southern Ural mountains.

More at:

http://www2.swissinfo.org/sen/Swissinfo.html?siteSect=143&eid=1229254

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post