Swissair111.org    forums.swissair111.org    Discussion  Hop To Forum Categories  SR111 Messages    10 year anniversary

Moderators: BF, Mark Fetherolf
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

10 year anniversary
 Login/Join

posted
Hello to all, i was wondering if there was anything planned for the 10th year of the tragedy in Peggy's Cove?
I was part of the search and rescue and recovery operations on HMCS Halifax, the mothership of the operation. after 10 years it's still very hard for me to talk about my experience, i can only imagine what it's like for the families and loved ones of the victims.
My doctor says it would probably be a good thing for me to go back and bring some kind of closure.
My thoughts are with you everyday.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Tue May 27 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello, Mr. Hatman. I'm glad you wrote. I will look into this for you. I have no idea if there is anything planned and haven't heard anything that would indicate that there is.

I'm particularly glad you wrote today, because I am hurting pretty badly today over the loss of my daughter and the fallout from that. I'm so sorry for your terrible experience with this horrible tragedy. I'll post information, if I find anything.

If anyone that visits this board knows of any 10 year memorial, please post.

Thanks,

Barbara

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Barbara, well it's decided, i am going back in september to the memorial in Peggy's Cove, i'll travel with my girlfriend and show her where it happened and how beautiful this place can be even after a tragedy like this, maybe i'll be able to turn a big page in my life, and i will say a prayer for your dauther.
i will keep visit this site, talk soon.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Tue May 27 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mr. Hatman, I appreciate your kind words. Hope you'll come back to the site.

Barbara

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello,

My name is Nelisha Vellani and I am a Researcher with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) in Toronto.

As part of the Investigative Unit, we are currently focusing on Aviation safety and using the 10th anniversary of Swissair 111 as a focal point for our coverage. We are looking to speak with families of victims about their experiences and also about key issues that are still affecting the safety of aviation. I came across this forum while doing some research and thought it would be a great place to start.

My e-mail address is: nelisha.vellani@cbc.ca

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mon June 23 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Family members of the victims of swissair 111 should have received a mailing from the National Air Disaster Alliance/Foundation (www.PlaneSafe.org), with the following information regarding the 10th year annivesary of the tragedy:

Tuesday, September 2, 2008- 11:00am Memorial Service at Bayswater Memorial site which is about an hour from Peggy's Cove.

Lunch following at the Blandford Community Center, down the road from the Bayswater Memorial site. It is being hosted by the Interfaith Council of Halifax.

They plan to have boats available for those who would like to visit the crash site, however, John O'Donnell has asked that you let him know in advance if you would like to make the boat trip. (902) 802-4518

posted Hide Post
I should also add that in my state- PA, there will be a special Mass at St. Mary's, in Fairfield PA, to remember the victims of sr111.