Swissair111.org    forums.swissair111.org    Discussion  Hop To Forum Categories  This and That    Murray, didn't you mention the Air Transit Incident in Another Post?

Moderators: BF, Mark Fetherolf
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Murray, didn't you mention the Air Transit Incident in Another Post?
 Login/Join

posted
I just saw the documentary, "A Wing and A Prayer" today. Unbelievable!

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How on earth did the captain, get that plane on that runway with NO power and NO fuel? Just
amazing. There were only some minor injuries. I guess the fact that the plane was empty of fuel helped prevent a serious fire or explosion on the ground. I can't even imagine being on that plane. Unfortunately, it was all too easy to picture what it was like from listening to the survivors, to be on sr111. It nearly broke my heart to think about that, but I couldn't stop myself from watching such an amazing story with a good ending. It really makes me wonder about sr111 and the final report as far as the pilots are concerned, but I don't even have the energy to go into that again. I feel that the minute a pilot has the slightest inkling that there might be an electrical problem on a plane 30,000 feet in the air, they should head for land and try to figure out the problem on the ground.

I still believe there could have been a better outcome, but we'll really never know. A tragedy is made up a chain of events whereby everything goes wrong. Swissair certainly fit that bill.

The Air Transit story is amazing. I guess in the end the pilots were somewhat in the wrong because they didn't transfer the leaking fuel into the right tank, but what a landing. I think I remember the narrator saying that they were going at a speed of 250 MPH as they came in. The landing was absolutely spectacular and one for the history books for sure.

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes I did. The one I saw was an episode of "Air Crash Investigation" called "Flying on Empty" I have it if you'd like to see it.

There is also one called "Fire On Board" about SR111, I thought it was really well done, especially the reenactment of the situation in the cockpit, it really gave me an understanding of what the pilots faced I'd never known before. I imagine it's too painful, but if you ever decide you'd like to see it let me know.

I think a big difference between Air Transat and SR111 is the time of day. SR111 happened in the black of night, and flying on standby instruments in a smoke filled cockpit without a visual reference outside is damn near impossible. I do agree with you wholeheartedly if I was ever flying myself and caught the slightest whiff of smoke I'd be heading directly for the nearest runway. I think that was more a failure in training on Swissair's part than anything else. The pilots were trained to go through the checklist first. Now, to you and I that obviously sounds ludicrous, but a lot of pilots are these types of people who feel like they can walk on water.

I wish it had turned out better for Tara and you and everyone else effected by it.

"Those Who Don't Learn From The Past Are Doomed To Repeat It."

Posts: 186 | Registered: Sun July 09 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Murray! I believe we agree on this one.

Do you get any time off for the upcoming holiday?

posted Hide Post
Yes, with my new job I actually get American holidays off now! (I used to have to work them at my crappy old job) So because the holidays fall on Mondays I get two 3 day weekends in a row. Big Grin

As for you I imagine this must be a tough time. Do you have anyone to spend the holidays with?

posted Hide Post
Hi Murray! Glad that you actually get a little vacation!

Yes, my daughter and I will be spending the holiday with my family in Maine, which is what we do every year. After last Christmas (I'll spare you the details, LOL), this one ought to be a piece of cake. Thanks for thinking about me.

Hope you have a nice break! Please keep in touch.

Barbara

posted Hide Post
Speaking of this trip to Maine, I sure hope that our flight isn't too delayed by that recent snowstorm, in Denver. Here in Philadelphia, it is pretty foggy right now. If that lifts soon, we might be okay. Last Friday and Saturday I spent all day at the airport, bringing my daughter home from college (I still can't always handle letting her fly alone)due to severe foggy conditions, which delayed my trip for 10 hours! I was fortunate in that I brought a good book, a good attitude, and made some nice friends while there!

posted Hide Post
Yup, thankfully I've never had to travel during the holidays, I either don't think I ever would or I'd arrange it so I got there early so I wouldn't get marooned like the people in Denver. But as we know I'm not too anxious to fly commercial ever again anyway. Now that I have a job again I'd like to do some flight training and eventually get my private pilot's licence. It's sad because I love flying commerical, I love everything about it, the great feeling I get when I wake up and it's time to fly, going out to the airport, going through security, the actual flight, being so high up and the amazing views, I even love the airline food! Wink But I've just seen so many horror stories caused by complete incompetence and lack of regard for human lives above money in the industry that I don't feel safe putting my life in to their hands anymore.

posted Hide Post
quote:
But I've just seen so many horror stories caused by complete incompetence and lack of regard for human lives above money in the industry that I don't feel safe putting my life in to their hands anymore.

I hear you on that Murray and certainly understand your feeling about that. That's why I have such a hard time putting d on a plane, for those very same reasons. I just don't trust the airlines at all. I will never get the vision out of my brain of watching Tara literally walk to her death.

Unfortunately, my relatives pretty much all live in New England, and this is the only place they seem to agree on to meet for the holidays. D wants to be with her cousins, so here we are again! At least there was only an hour delay. That's not too bad after last weeks mess. We did this for Thanksgiving too, this year.

Barbara

posted Hide Post
Well things are going well, and most importantly, d is having a wonderful time with her favorite cousin. That's what the season is all about- hanging around with your family. It's great to see her happy after all she and I have been through together.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a smooth return trip home. Hope everything's going okay for you Murray.

Barbara

posted Hide Post
Btw, just want to make something clear. I didn't leave N.C. because I didn't like it there, that's for sure.

posted Hide Post
Ok, I never thought as much. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Murray, how was your holiday?

Barbara