Swissair111.org    forums.swissair111.org    Discussion  Hop To Forum Categories  This and That    Airlines hooking up new entertainment

Moderators: BF, Mark Fetherolf
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airlines hooking up new entertainment
 Login/Join

posted
Airlines hooking up new entertainment: Inflight diversions: Get interactive with fellow passengers or e-mail from the sky

NATIONAL POST
Page: PT5

Inflight Internet access will be available on several major airlines early next year as airline entertainment system designers race to provide business travellers with a level and quality of connectivity comparable with what they can get on the ground.

In January, Connexion by Boeing will use transponders on a new Brazilian satellite to deliver broadband Internet capability on several Lufthansa and British Airways routes between Europe and the United States. Japan Airlines will follow.

The service will allow business- and first-class passengers to plug in their laptop, log on to an account and receive live news, weather, sports and entertainment over the Internet. Almost instantaneous movement of e-mail is part of the package.

"This is a completely new threshold in connectivity during flight," says Terrance Scott, Connexion spokesman, at the World Airline Entertainment Association conference and exhibition held in Seattle in late September.

"You'll have the same type of connections at 30,000 feet going 500 miles an hour as you do in your home or business."

If all goes well, the service will be introduced to the airlines' entire long-haul fleets.

It is up to the airline how the consumer will pay, Mr. Scott says. Lufthansa will provide the connection at no cost as it studies usage during a three-month trial. British Airways will charge approximately $50 for unlimited use.

A theme of the conference -- attended by 1,300 delegates from 300 airline suppliers and 100 airlines involved in the US$1.8-billion-a-year inflight entertainment (IFE) industry -- was how to advance airline technology while holding down costs and increasing efficiency in a struggling business-travel sector.

Efforts are being made, for example, to reduce the weight and size of the ever-more complex electronic equipment that draws heavily on power consumption and passenger space.

Among the Canadian firms at the conference was Inflight Canada, a Montreal-based engineering and design firm working on relocating electronic boxes under the floor of the aircraft to free space and improve maintenance procedures.

Greater reliability and greater access to technology were other themes. MAS (Matsushita Avionics Systems Corp.), the largest IFE supplier in the world, is pioneering a repair service in which flight attendants facing technological glitches on MAS's broadband Internet delivery system can be talked through problems by ground-based technicians during the flight.

Seattle-based Tenzing Communications, another major IFE player, is working to extend the introduction of various technologies into economy-class cabins, says Laura Alikpala, marketing director. Tenzing and MAS are starting to equip each seat on Virgin Atlantic Airways with short, text-message e-mail capability. Each message will cost about US$2.50.

Tenzing has also developed an "intelligent mail manager." The passenger sees his or her in-box and orders up only those messages they want on a pay-per-message basis. This is being introduced on Cathay Pacific Airways flights.

"There are more bells and whistles available than the consumer can possibly use and pay for," Ms. Alikpala says. "E-mail is the number one access issue right now. But as with terrestrial trends, we expect broadband access to take off when it becomes commercially viable."

Clearly, passengers want to be entertained while flying. To that end, there will be more audio and video on demand (AVOD), more video games that can be played with fellow passengers sitting elsewhere on the aircraft. "If I take my son on board and he wants to play chess but he's sitting eight rows away from me, we can still play chess,'' says Ray Summers, MAS's corporate communications manager.

Ray Brady, a designer of Internet-based broadband IFE systems with the Montreal firm Thales Avionics, demonstrated at the conference how you can play four-hand bridge on a Thales touch-screen control unit or watch a live sporting event on one window of your laptop screen while discussing the game on a chat room in another.

"You can book a hotel, restaurant and taxi, and by the time you land, your taxi is waiting for you," says Chris Brady, managing director of Flightstore, a British company that is piloting its Internet technology on Lauda and Austrian Airlines. Confirmation of your order will return to you in less than a minute.

Another tool included in most new inflight entertainment packages is an interactive map that allows passengers to zero in on a destination and map out their travels. Some airlines are considering equipping every seat with DVD players.

Meanwhile, New York-based AirTV claims to have snagged the only broadband satellite network capable of delivering reliable Internet service to aircraft flying in every part of the world. John Larkin, the chief executive, spoke of delivering 60 to 80 television channels, including BBC World Service and Bloomberg Financial News, within two or three years. "It's just like you're sitting at home with access to 100 channels.'' Alitalia and Saudi Arabian Airlines have signed with the firm.

Ultimately, what technologies will be available will come down to what the consumer will pay. "Full broadband technology costs upwards of half a million per plane," Ms. Alikpala says. "For an airline, it's a pretty big investment.''

Posts: 142 | Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mon April 08 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chris, Thanks for an interesting article. It makes me cringe knowing what we do about sr111, particularly this line:

"If I take my son on board and he wants to play chess but he's sitting eight rows away from me, we can still play chess,'' says Ray Summers, MAS's corporate communications manager.

If I put my child on an airline, I expect them to arrive safely- no more, no less. I find it interesting that they say that passengers in this day and age place much importance on 'entertainment' for a couple of reasons. One is 9/11 (people are hurting economically and are opting for cheaper no-frills flights) and the other is that the economic lesson that swissair learned from installing the IFEN is that people are basically cheap and it was a dismal failure because passengers were not interested in spending extra money on a flight to be entertained. Tara brought her own entertainment in the form of magazines and books- I only wish swissair would have not bothered with their form of 'entertainment' to say the least.

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post