Swissair111.org    forums.swissair111.org    Discussion  Hop To Forum Categories  This and That    A Very Strange Airline Case....

Moderators: BF, Mark Fetherolf
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Very Strange Airline Case....
 Login/Join

posted
Woman squashed by plane passenger
Tuesday, October 22, 2002 Posted: 4:17 AM EDT (0817 GMT)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Story Tools

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LONDON, England -- A woman injured while squeezed next to an obese passenger on a trans-Atlantic flight has been given �13,000 ($20,000) by the airline.

QUICKVOTE
If an obese passenger requires two seats on an aircraft, who should bear the cost?

The airline
The passenger
VIEW RESULTS

Barbara Hewson, 63, was offered damages by Virgin Atlantic after suffering a blood clot, torn leg muscles and sciatica following a flight to Los Angeles in January 2001, the UK's Press Association reported.

She said the woman passenger was so large she had to sit with the arm rests up, but when she complained, the crew said there was nothing they could do as the plane was full.

Hewson, of Swansea, Wales, who still has medical treatment, was quoted by PA on Monday as saying: "It was never about the money. No money would pay for you having sleepless nights with the pain."

The freelance writer, who travelled with her husband Roy, 67, said she spent most of her holiday in bed. "It ruined the holiday. We went out very little."

Hewson added that half-way through the flight the woman asked if she was okay, saying to her: "I'm sitting on your lap."

"I had three sessions of sitting in the hostess seat and I stood for a little while," added Hewson.

Virgin Atlantic said in a statement: "This was an unprecedented set of extremely unfortunate circumstances.

"We have apologised to Mrs Hewson and offered her compensation, which she has accepted, and we are pleased that this has now reached a conclusion."

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/10/22/virgin.payout/index.html

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Monday, 21 October, 2002, 18:26 GMT 19:26 UK
Crushed flier wins obesity payout

Virgin Atlantic has paid a woman passenger �13,000 (US$20,289) compensation, after she was squashed by an obese person who sat next to her on a transatlantic flight.

Barbara Hewson, from Swansea, south Wales, suffered injuries including a blood clot in her chest, torn leg muscles and acute sciatica and remains in pain two years on.

The obese passenger had only been able to fit into her seat by raising the arm rest, which meant her body parts weighed down on Mrs Hewson.

The injured woman had to be admitted to hospital in Los Angeles when the flight touched down and was bedridden for a month.

Two years later, and after pressure on the airline to take her complaint seriously, Virgin agreed to pay her compensation.

Before taking off, the freelance writer had complained in the first instance to the cabin crew about sitting next to the overweight woman, who had booked two seats on her outward bound flight to London, but not on the return leg.

Attendants told Mrs Hewson the flight was full, with no other seats available.

She said her experience of the 11-hour flight in economy class had been "horrific".

Mrs Hewson added that she was now forced to walk with a stick and is still in pain.

It is reported Virgin officials initially offered "a small basket of goods" worth �15 as compensation, but Mrs Hewson took forward her complaint.

And after 18 months of pursuing her claim and undergoing medical examinations by Virgin's own doctors to prove the extent of her injuries, the airline agreed to a proper settlement.

A statement by Virgin said Mrs Hewson's injuries arose from "an unprecedented set of extremely unfortunate circumstances".

"We have apologised to Mrs Hewson and have offered her compensation, which she has accepted, and we are pleased that this has now reached a conclusion."

In the United States, budget US carrier Southwest Airlines now charge larger passengers for two seats.

Major concern

But the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance has taken on airlines over discrimination against overweight people.

The level of obesity in the US is now of major concern, but also in the UK, National Audit Office figures show one in five people are clinically obese.

Vale of Glamorgan MP John Smith has fought a campaign against cramped economy class conditions, following a series of deaths from deep vein thrombosis (DVT), which have been linked to long haul flights.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/2346319.stm

Posts: 142 | Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mon April 08 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chris, I've heard of people being uncomfortable sitting next to passengers that were morbidly obese but not of injuries suffered as a result of that. Jeez fortunately I think this is an unusual case but raises the issue of whether airlines should charge double or extra for passengers that don't fit in a single seat. I think that airlines should maybe give us all a little more room (even us thiner passengers)as it has become very uncomfortable to fly. I hate to see them singled out anymore than they are. People with weight problems to this extreme already have to deal with ridicule, prejudice etc. in other areas of their lives. Anyone have thoughts about this? I guess I just feel sorry for them and yes I have sat next to passengers that have taken up a little too much room.

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post