Swissair111.org    forums.swissair111.org    Discussion  Hop To Forum Categories  This and That    A Subject that Interested me Barb

Moderators: BF, Mark Fetherolf
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Subject that Interested me Barb
 Login/Join

posted
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/history/pastprojects/PCA/index.html

I thought you might find it interesting too. It highlights why I don't feel safe flying anymore, because the FAA is too concerned with saving money and not concerned enough with saving lives.

Basically in the wake of several accidents in which the hydraulic controls of an airplane were lost (United 232, Japan Flight 123 [which is currently the worst single plane disaster in terms of fatalities, 520, in history], and a DHL plane that managed to land after being hit by a missle fired by an insurgent) NASA embarked on a project to create a system known as "Propulsion Controlled Aircraft" or PCA. The idea was, to use the thrust of the engines to steer the plane. This was done successfully in the DHL flight and relatively successfully in UAL 232. (Some people survived) The Japan air flight all but 4 died. However it was done by the people flying the plane manually, the idea was to create a computer system that could do it for them, thus making it easier and also more efficient.

Anyway, they managed to make great strides in this technology, to the point where there were able to successfully land planes using no hydraulic control whatsoever. But the FAA decided against reccomending it be put in commercial planes. You can probably guess the reason: The chances of full hydraulic failure are so remote it isn't worth the cost. I guess the people who died in UAL232 and JA123 weren't worth saving, according to the FAA.

I think at the very least pilots should be extensivly trained in this manuevre so that if the unthinkable should happen they won't be learning how to fly all over again, at the same time as trying to save their passengers.

This attitude of the FAA is precisely the reason I don't feel safe flying commercial, if they don't care enough about my saftey to do whatever they can to prevent accidents, then I have to care for them.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this, especially since it is similar to the lack of removal of the wires and flammable materials that brought down Flight 111.

"Those Who Don't Learn From The Past Are Doomed To Repeat It."

Posts: 186 | Registered: Sun July 09 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the interesting article, Murray. Unfortunately, I don't at all find the FAA's attitude towards this incredible new safety feature, all that surprising. You see this response from them, time after time. The FAA applies their cost/benefit ratio to every safety recommendation the NTSB comes up with, for example. If the suggestion requires a large expenditure of money by the airlines, the FAA refuses to order the changes, despite the benefits to the public. There is no doubt that they look out for the airlines ahead of the safety of the flying public.

It is very disturbing, and I don't see this attitude changing, anytime soon. The flying public seems to be unaware of it. The only time you see the FAA and it's shortcomings mentioned in the press, is after a massive tragedy, such as TWA 800. It's quickly forgotten as soon as the public's interest wanes, and it's business as usual. That's why they call it the 'tombstone agency,' and to those of us who have had to look closely at the priorities of the FAA, it is extremely disturbing. According to the FAA, my young daughter, wasn't worth ordering mylar insulation to be banned from aircraft prior to the swissair tragedy, even though they clearly knew it was a potentially deadly situation to have it on a commercial jet. I could go on forever about this, but let me just say, I know exactly what you're saying, and agree it is deeply upsetting. I can't blame you for not wanting to fly.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BF,

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It'd be nice if all the FAA people who made these decisions with little or no regard for human life could be put on a plane with failing hydraulics and be forced to endure the agony of pondering their imminent mortality like the people on UAL232 or JAL123. Not to mention the suffering endured by family members such as yourself.

That's the part of air travel that scares me the most, the dying part is scary no question, but by far the more terrifying thought for me is having to sit there, helpless, for 10, 20, 30, 40, or more minutes getting to think "Hey I'm gonna die." And there's nothing you can do about it except sit there. It's getting to the point now where I'd only contemplate flying if I was drugged for the flight.

One of these days I should create a site to show all the different times the FAA has doomed people. All the other plane crash sites out there just focus on the crashes themselves without getting to the potential blame of the FAA. My life is pretty hectic right now, but I suppose I could chip away at it here and there. Do one accident at a time type thing.

"Those Who Don't Learn From The Past Are Doomed To Repeat It."

Posts: 186 | Registered: Sun July 09 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of these days I should create a site to show all the different times the FAA has doomed people. All the other plane crash sites out there just focus on the crashes themselves without getting to the potential blame of the FAA. My life is pretty hectic right now, but I suppose I could chip away at it here and there. Do one accident at a time type thing.

Murray, that would be a great idea. That's the kind of information that might get the flying public's attention. You are certainly welcome to post this information here if you don't get around to setting up a separate site. The FAA and their decisions, need to be exposed.

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post