Swissair111.org    forums.swissair111.org    Discussion  Hop To Forum Categories  This and That    Pilots Attacked With Axe On Norwegian Flight

Moderators: BF, Mark Fetherolf
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pilots Attacked With Axe On Norwegian Flight
 Login/Join

posted
From The Toronto Star - 29 September, 2004

A passenger on a commuter plane in Northern Norway attacked both pilots and at least one passenger with an axe as the aircraft was landing today, poice said.

The pilots suffered serious but not life-threatening injuries and were able to land the Kato Dornier 228 aircraft safely in the northern town of Bodoe, state radio network NRK reported.

The attacker, who was weilding a fire axe that was part of the aircraft;s emergency equipment, was arrested after it touched down, plice told the Associated press.

"The two pilots were injured. I know of at least one passenger who was also injured, but I don't know if there were others", Wala said by phone from Bodoe.

The aircraft was flying from the northern town of Narvik to Bodoe, about 850 kilometers north of Oslo. Wala said the attack happened just before 11:00 a.m. just as the flight was making its final approach.

"Despite their injuries, the pilots managed to land the plane safely", said Wala, We do not know the extent of their injuries yet. Wala said he had no immediate information about a motive for the attack, the eventsa leading up to it, or personal details about the suspect.

J.O's Note: As a former flight attendant, I am shocked by this incident for obvious reasons. How is it that a crash axe was accessed by a pax? On Canadian registered civil aircraft, emerg equipment such as this is to be visibly hidden in the cabin, where FA's know of its location and may have quick access to it in the event of an emergency. I realize this aircraft was a small commuter plane, but nonetheless, this axe should have been out of sight of the pax and secured in a location known only to the flight crew. I'm also surprised that, post 9/11, airlines such as this Norwegian one have not taken proper measures to ensure that the cabins are safe and secure in all respects for pax and crew.

Posts: 27 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Tue September 02 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
J.O. That is one scary story and getting to be all too common these days. I just can't imagine why there are so many incidences like this. You're right- why on earth would that ax be accessable to passengers in this day and age? Truly unbelievable that airlines wouldn't be more careful to provide safety for their pilots, crew and passengers in this crazy new world.

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Passenger attacks pilots with axe

A man has been arrested after attacking two pilots and a passenger with an axe on an internal flight in Norway.

The pilots managed to bring the plane in to land safely, and were then taken to hospital with the injured passenger.

A police prosecutor said the attacker may have boarded with the axe. Earlier it was thought he may have taken it from the plane's emergency equipment.

The plane was on a 20-minute flight between the northern towns of Narvik and Bodoe when the attack took place.

"There were no security controls at Narvik airport today" where the plane took off, Bodoe prosecutor Bjarte Walla told BBC News Online.

Norway is due to install improved security measures for internal flights by 2005.

"From the new year these small regional airports have to have security checkpoints," Mr Walla said.

No separation

The plane was a 20-seater Dornier 228 operated by the small regional airline Kato Air, with seven passengers on board.

The plane is said to have no separation between pilots and passengers.

The man attacked just before 1100 (0900 GMT) "as the plane was about to land at Bodoe - it had begun landing procedures", Mr Walla said.

He said the pilots both suffered head injuries, though they were not thought to be life-threatening.

The man was described as an Algerian in his 30s.

"We don't really know anything about a motive," Mr Walla said. "We are not ruling any possibility out."

He said the incident was dealt with quickly and there was no impact on other flights in and out of Bodoe airport, which serves as a hub for smaller airports in northern Norway.

BBC News - Passenger attacks pilots with axe

Posts: 142 | Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mon April 08 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This pax may have boarded the aircraft with an axe!? Good God. And Norway has yet to install
IMPROVED pax security screening for pax on internal flights by 2005? It is presumed a pax boarded a plane with an axe.....so what security measures are in place NOW that have to be improved upon? One shudders.

Actually, many may already know this, but here in North America, the amount of guns, knives and other restricted items are slipping by pax security screening checkpoints at an alarming rate. Not only that, but at many airports, including ones in Canada, airline and airline support ground workers are accessing restricted zones with little or no screening. That, and the fact that improper profiling/screening of
new/potential airport employees remains a serious issue.

Hmmm, And U.S President Bush assures Americans that all is safer post 9/11? Me thinks not. Not by a long shot. However, we in Canada cannot point a finger and assume a smug attitude towards our southern neighbours when it comes to proper airport security measures.

Quite clearly, many airport authorities are not on the ball. I also find it non-amusing that as we move further in time away from the horrific incidents of 9/11, we as a human race tend to forget and return to a quasi complacent mindset.
Then again, history throughout the world is full of lessons not learned and remembered.

J.O

Posts: 27 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Tue September 02 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then again, history throughout the world is full of lessons not learned and remembered.

That certainly is the truth. I think Bush is pretty naive if he truly believes that measures taken by the airlines today make passengers safer. Screeners harass people like my 75 yr. old mother while letting people through that are carrying dangerous items. I can't count the amount of times she's come to visit me and mentions that she was pulled aside for absolutely no reason! One time when we were traveling with one of Amy's friends, the screeners held him back and were really getting obnoxious with him. Fortunately the kid maintained his cool which is the best thing one can do under the current circumstances. As I've said many times, it's good to see security trying to do a thorough job but you wonder who they are allowing through while they are inspecting you. It's a pretty tough world we live in. Mark and I are doing a lot of driving these days just to avoid the unpleasant experience flying has become.

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post