Swissair111.org    forums.swissair111.org    Discussion  Hop To Forum Categories  This and That    FAA: 17 killed in Montana plane crash

Moderators: BF, Mark Fetherolf
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FAA: 17 killed in Montana plane crash
 Login/Join

posted
(CNN) -- A single-engine airplane crashed in Butte, Montana, on Sunday, killing at least 17 people, including children, authorities said.

The Pilatus PC-12 left Oroville, California, at 11 a.m. PT for Bozeman, Montana, but rerouted to Butte instead, Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Mike Fergus said. The plane crashed 500 feet short of the runway at Bert Mooney Airport.

Preliminary information indicates the pilot did not declare an emergency aboard the plane before the crash, Fergus said.

The plane, manufactured in 2001, was registered to Eagle Cap Leasing in Enterprise, Oregon, according to the FAA.

Investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board were at the scene.

Martha Guidoni told CNN she and her husband witnessed the plane crash at a cemetery by the airport, though the FAA says the crash was outside the cemetery. A photograph she took of the scene shows the cemetery in the foreground of a huge blaze.

"We were just taking a ride, and all of a sudden, we watched this plane just take a nosedive," she told CNN. "We drove into the cemetery to see if there was any way my husband could help someone, and we were too late. There was nothing to help."

Her husband, Steve Guidoni, who went to the scene of the crash, said the plane "went into the ground" and caught a tree on fire.
"I looked ... to see if I could see anybody I could pull out or anything, but there wasn't anything there, I couldn't see anything," he told CNN. "Some luggage [was] strewn around. ... [There were] some plane parts."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/03/22/montana.plane.crash/

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post