Swissair111.org    forums.swissair111.org    Discussion  Hop To Forum Categories  Board Comments    New Board

Moderators: BF, Mark Fetherolf
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Board
 Login/Join

posted
We will be eventually switching over to a new board which will hopefully run quicker and offer more options. We'd also like to get an archive of the old Yahoo sr111 club messages put on the site as well. We are also thinking about having a guest book and maybe some pictures of the victims which if anyone is interested they can submit to us. We're hoping the search engine will work better amongst many other things. It could be a few more weeks until we iron out all the bugs. Oh and the posts will go in a different order- the older at the top going down to the newest ones.

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've converted to the new board and are hoping that it works a little better than the old one. Note that the posts now go from oldest to newest making it a little easier to follow the threads. Here's hoping it works.

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Working now Babs/Mark - TY!

L

Posts: 11 | Location: New York | Registered: Tue April 09 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me thinks it will take a little getting used to, but it sure is fast!

Posts: 142 | Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mon April 08 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lyn for letting me know it wasn't working before! Seems to be okay now.

I agree with you CD that it will definitely take time to get used to it- it's pretty different than the old site in both the way it looks and the way it functions.

Thanks to both of you for your comments.

Barbara

posted Hide Post
One suggestion: vBulletin for a bulletin board. It's one of the most secure and resource efficient boards [and many shared web hosts allow if for under 50 users, which helps on the web host expense], with too many features to mention. Easier to configure, maintain and customize for busy "I have a life offline" folks. It's database/search is second to none and fast. It's an admin's dream, too. Wink

[No this isn't an ad. I tried installing and configuring and designing most of them (except for Invision), and found vB much better all around].

Posts: 17 | Registered: Tue July 18 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sandy have you tried SWF? They're awesome.

Here's my old one.
http://forum.gatekeepergaming.com/index.php

"Those Who Don't Learn From The Past Are Doomed To Repeat It."

Posts: 186 | Registered: Sun July 09 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tried it, but maintaining SWF and MyBB and phpBB is harder (the code of phpBB and even SWF is unelegant. It's a rats' nest). To customize it for what an admin needs requires a lot of hacking for features that come already in vBulletin. Can effectively start a vB forum right out of the box, just change the banner and it's good to go. That leaves time for designers to design, admins to admin and users to use.

Just dig through the templates of SWF and the vB and see what I mean by which one is easier to dig into to customize. SWF still uses the SMARTY like system, and it's slower to draw up the forum (many other forum systems are slow as it's php and mysql isn't streamlined). On a shared server I can pull up a heavily modified vB forum in less than 0.7 seconds (on a dedicated in 0.2). Something difficult to do with any other forum software, even with removing queries.

I tried the popular php/mysql LAMP forum software, and none is easier to work with (on an admin's POV) than vB.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Tue July 18 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post