Swissair111.org    forums.swissair111.org    Discussion  Hop To Forum Categories  Board Comments    First Post

Moderators: BF, Mark Fetherolf
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Post
 Login/Join

posted
Welcome to the new board. Please use this forum for your comments and discussion of the new board system and also, any suggestions for the swissair111.org website.
- Mark

Posts: 90 | Registered: Fri March 29 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mark:

Excellent choice of BBs. Ultimate Bulletin Board, similar to PPrune, is a very capable and intuitive program.

Is the ultimate plan to wind down the Yahoo board and ramp up this one, or to run both in parallel?

Pax<br /><br />What is truth?

Posts: 3 | Location: Canada | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PaxSafetyGuy:
[qb]Mark:

<snip>

Is the ultimate plan to wind down the Yahoo board and ramp up this one, or to run both in parallel?[/qb]
We will keep both running for now.

We'll try to post some interesting material on the homepage too. Hopefully, we can draw the group here.

posted Hide Post
Good afternoon Mark, and Barbara. I have registered and will monitor and participate as appropiate. Thank you for affording me the opportunity. Best.... Cecil

Posts: 58 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cecil, Welcome to the new board. It is always great to have you around. Thanks for your participation. Welcome to Pax as well.

Barbara

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mark -

Forgot to say that I much prefer this look (Swissair 111) to the new (non-UBB) look of PPrune, which I feel is a retrograde step. The single biggest disappointment in the "new look" PPrune (www.pprune.org) is that you do not get to see the subject of the last post, when looking at the summary page. A small change, perhaps, but it makes a world of difference to the intelligence that one gathers at a glace. My advice is to stick with the UBB format.

Pax<br /><br />What is truth?

Posts: 3 | Location: Canada | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pax,

The one I really like is:
vBulletin, but it's a little more work to set up because it requires mysql. Not a huge deal, but I already know perl, but haven't had much experience with PWP. I also tried WebBBS, but it was really slow and it didn't have a user friendly admin tool like UBB. I also like that UBB has a caching feature, so it should continue to perform well, even when there are a lot of messages stored (since the vast majority of accesses will be against the most recent messages).

Good to have you on (the) board! Cool

- Mark

posted Hide Post
There appears to be a general lack of activity, on all boards, which obviously began with the
conversion of the group thing with Yahoo. At least, it is easy to trace back to that point, but, idle mind I guess, I wonder if we weren’t headed for a general slow down anyway. I can not believe that simply changing from one location to another would trigger this kind of reaction. The
aviation industry is still full of 'discussionable' material, and the recent accidents alone generally would have attracted a lot of conversation, and controversy. Just a thought.

Posts: 58 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cecil, I know what you mean. There are currently a lot of good topics but people just don't seem to be posting. I have noticed in the past that this time of year when the weather turns nicer, the posts go down quite a bit. I think that was the general pattern on the sr111 board from the very beginning even when there were still plenty of new articles regarding the tragedy. I hope you will stick around at any rate but I wish you had someone to talk to here besides me! We are trying to get this listed on Google's search engine which we hope will bring in some interested parties. Your participation is appreciated more than I could ever tell you.

Barbara

Posts: 2580 | Location: USA | Registered: Sun April 07 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to correct 'good' topics to 'interesting' topics. Most of them aren't all that good!

posted Hide Post
Well, I think I'm here and registered. Is the Yahoo club still going to be in use, or will everything be over here now?

"They shall mount up with wings, as eagles." Isaiah 40:31

Posts: 26 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: Mon April 29 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
David welcome to the new board! I guess we will try and use this place for new posts because the old one is frustrating and full of ads. Also, it is nearly impossible to post links on 'groups'. We will keep the other one open as all the old messages are there. The one good thing about it is that there is finally a searchable archive on Yahoo which is helpful. Thanks for joining us here!

Barbara